Sunday, October 27, 2013

My gear

What I'm running...

Frame: It's a chinese carbon generic disc frame. 52cm (51ish top tube) and internal cable routing.  I bought it direct and it was very cheap.  I also got the generic carbon stem and bars, both very overbuilt and beefy. Also a chinese seatpost which was light but the saddle mounting mechanism was suspect so I put on an old Ritchey carbon post I had in the parts drawer.

I had it custom painted to my specs which I mocked up in Photoshop and they painted. Matt black and Pantone 1655C Orange.  I've always loved my old HealthNet orange Aliante saddle so that was a starting point.


Grouppo:  Shimano Ultegra 11 speed.  Cranks are CX70 46/36 with an 11-28. I went with 170mm cranks (I use 172.5 on the road).  I can't really tell the difference, maybe I get a bit more clearance with turns etc.

Brakes: TRP HY/RD cable-hydrolic.  These brakes are amazing.  Great modulation and 2 finger full force braking.  I can scream into turns and bleed off speed instantly.  I've ridden canti's for many years on mtb's and these are so much better it's ridiculous.  No issues yet with wear or any sounds.  They have organic pads and I have metal pads ordered which is said to remedy the mud issue everyone was having last year.  Stock rotors.

Wheels: Stan's Iron Cross Pro wheel set.  Super light at 1400g but tough so far.  Running tubes right now till I have some time to figure the tubeless thing out.  I didn't want to be dealing with that along with all the other things I have to learn right now with cross.  When there is a break in racing I will set them up tubeless.

Tires: My goto tire now is the Grifo 33mm clincher.  I usually run 38f/44r unless it's muddy or wet and I go down from there.  Latex tubes. I've got some PDX's ordered for mud.  I've also got some Kenda Happy Mediums 40mm front/35mm rear (40's in the rear don't fit my frame) that I will run too at some point.

Pedals: Eggbeater 3's.  I've been running an old pair of eggbeaters on my MTB for a while and liked them.  Zero effort in/out and super easy dismounting. There is no better mud pedal out there. They just work.

Misc: Jagwire cables, Fizik Aliante saddle, Lizard skins 2.5 tape.

0 Comments: