Wednesday, May 16, 2007


After not doing much in the crit yesterday I decided to try to do some testing today. The idea is to do all-out tests of 1 min, 3 min and 20 min. This can then be put into the “monod” spreadsheet to estimate threshold power. This is something I really need to do more of to chart progress cuz you don’t really do all out efforts very often (not even in races etc) and it’s good info to have for tailoring your training.

Ok…I did a 30min warmup then cranked out the 1min, rested a while then did the 3 min up the last climb on Dixie. The 20 min didn’t go so well and I pulled the plug after 10min due to not being able to hold the watts I know I’m capable of. These tests are supposed to be done “fresh” so I’m not too worried about not completing it. I’ve got some good 20min numbers from some earlier workouts so I’ll use those instead (308w).

Now the monod…after plugging the numbers in I get an estimated FTP of 301 (4.31 W/kg). Very interesting as I’ve never tested over 300w. It may be time for a 60min TT test on the Velodyne…damn that’s gonna hurt!