Monday, May 11, 2009

killer 2x20's

It really nice when things work out...I took a pretty easy day yesterday in order to recover for some hard intervals. Today was one of those days where I couldn't wait to get on the bike and hammer. I feel that way less and less as the season drags on. I normally take a rest day on mondays but I'm gonna do a 2 week block of intense training to ramp up my CTL so today was gonna be a hard day.

To mix things up I did my 2x20's in the Fort. Not as easy cuz you have to really hammer down the hills and there are 2 places where I spin out my 53x12. No matter, it's got a lot of variety and mentally it's easy to keep it going if you're feeling good. Today I felt really good and did 285w on the first and 286w on the second interval. If I can hit these numbers again later in the week I'll bump my FTP up in WKO+ a couple watts.

I felt so good after the workout that I *almost* turned around rode another loop in the fort (I actually did turn around...) but the little coach-voice in the back of my head veto'd that idea after 100m. Riding around an extra hour would just be "junk" miles and only serve to wear me down so that I'd be less likely to kill it tomorrow. Gotta train smart.


I've also been thinking a lot lately about tapering for "A" events using CTL/TSB...here's a blogpost from Joe Friel that is pretty good.

0 Comments: